By Barbara K. Gold
- Contributors signify a variety of demonstrated names and more youthful students, all of whom are revered specialists of their fields
- Contains unique, by no means prior to released essays, that are either obtainable to a large viewers and supply a brand new method of the affection elegists and their work
- Includes 33 essays at the Roman elegists Catullus, Tibullus, Propertius, Sulpicia, and Ovid, in addition to their Greek and Roman predecessors and later writers who have been encouraged by way of their work
- Recent years have visible an explosion of curiosity in Roman elegy from students who've used a number of severe methods to open up new avenues of understanding
Read or Download A Companion to Roman Love Elegy (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
In 4 heavily interwoven chapters, this examine translates the texts of 1 of the longest-lived narrative traditions of the German center a while and makes an attempt a brand new description of the adventure-filled Dietrich epic from a reception-aesthetic point of view. In doing so, the learn profits new insights within the box of narrative constants of the corpus and indicates why the texts have loved such long-lived good fortune.
Blighted and accursed households are an inescapable characteristic of Greek tragedy, and plenty of students have taken care of questions of inherited guilt, curses, and divine causation. N. J. Sewell-Rutter provides those common concerns a clean appraisal, arguing that tragedy is a medium that fuses the conceptual with the scary and fascinating of emotion, neither of that are neglected if the texts are to be totally understood.
This e-book provides severe experiences of recent reconfigurations of conceptions of the earlier, of the 'classical', and of nationwide historical past. Its scope is international (China, India, Egypt, Iran, Judaism, the Greco-Roman international) and inter-disciplinary (textual philology, background of artwork and structure, philosophy, gardening).
This is often the 1st monograph to be released approximately some of the most well-known and least understood authors of the Latin center a while. we all know him via the pseudonym of Archpoet. surroundings the Archpoet's global and works of their historic contexts, Peter Godman argues that they supply perception right into a excellent counter-culture of medieval Germany.
- Women Writing Latin: Women Writing Latin in Roman Antiquity, Late Antiquity, and the Early Christian Era: 001 (Women Writers of the World)
- The Book of Gladness / Le Livre de Leesce: A 14th Century Defense of Women, in English and French, by Jehan Le Fèvre
- Satiric Advice on Women and Marriage: From Plautus to Chaucer
- Fragments and Assemblages: Forming Compilations of Medieval London
Additional info for A Companion to Roman Love Elegy (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Roman Love Elegy (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Barbara K. Gold