By Rory McTurk
- Comprises 29 chapters written through prime students within the field
- Reflects present debates between outdated Norse-Icelandic scholars
- Pays recognition to formerly ignored components of research, resembling the sagas of Icelandic bishops and the delusion sagas
- Looks on the methods previous Norse-Icelandic literature is utilized by sleek writers, artists and movie administrators, either inside and outdoors Scandinavia
- Sets previous Norse-Icelandic language and literature in its wider cultural context
Read or Download A Companion to Old Norse-Icelandic Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
In 4 heavily interwoven chapters, this research translates the texts of 1 of the longest-lived narrative traditions of the German heart a long time and makes an attempt a brand new description of the adventure-filled Dietrich epic from a reception-aesthetic standpoint. In doing so, the research earnings new insights within the box of narrative constants of the corpus and exhibits why the texts have loved such long-lived good fortune.
Blighted and accursed households are an inescapable function of Greek tragedy, and lots of students have taken care of questions of inherited guilt, curses, and divine causation. N. J. Sewell-Rutter provides those prevalent matters a clean appraisal, arguing that tragedy is a medium that fuses the conceptual with the scary and fascinating of emotion, neither of that are overlooked if the texts are to be absolutely understood.
This booklet provides serious stories of contemporary reconfigurations of conceptions of the previous, of the 'classical', and of nationwide background. Its scope is worldwide (China, India, Egypt, Iran, Judaism, the Greco-Roman global) and inter-disciplinary (textual philology, historical past of paintings and structure, philosophy, gardening).
This is often the 1st monograph to be released approximately essentially the most recognized and least understood authors of the Latin center a while. we all know him by way of the pseudonym of Archpoet. environment the Archpoet's global and works of their historic contexts, Peter Godman argues that they supply perception right into a outstanding counter-culture of medieval Germany.
- The Stag of Love: The Chase in Medieval Literature
- Reading in the Wilderness: Private Devotion and Public Performance in Late Medieval England
- Minne, Aventiure und Heldenmut: Das spätmittelalterliche Bildprogramm zu Heinrichs von Neustadt "Apollonius von Tyrland" (German Edition)
- Representations of the Natural World in Old English Poetry (Cambridge Studies in Anglo-Saxon England)
Extra info for A Companion to Old Norse-Icelandic Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Old Norse-Icelandic Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Rory McTurk