By Marilyn B. Skinner
- Explores the paintings of Catullus, the most effective Roman ‘lyric poets’
- Provides discussions approximately construction, style, kind, and reception, in addition to interpretive essays on key poems and teams of poems
- Grounds Catullus within the socio-historical international round him
- Chapters problem got knowledge, current unique readings, and recommend new interpretations of biographical evidence
Read or Download A Companion to Catullus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
In 4 heavily interwoven chapters, this research translates the texts of 1 of the longest-lived narrative traditions of the German heart a while and makes an attempt a brand new description of the adventure-filled Dietrich epic from a reception-aesthetic viewpoint. In doing so, the learn earnings new insights within the box of narrative constants of the corpus and indicates why the texts have loved such long-lived good fortune.
Blighted and accursed households are an inescapable function of Greek tragedy, and plenty of students have taken care of questions of inherited guilt, curses, and divine causation. N. J. Sewell-Rutter offers those widespread matters a clean appraisal, arguing that tragedy is a medium that fuses the conceptual with the upsetting and intriguing of emotion, neither of which are missed if the texts are to be totally understood.
This e-book provides serious reports of recent reconfigurations of conceptions of the prior, of the 'classical', and of nationwide history. Its scope is international (China, India, Egypt, Iran, Judaism, the Greco-Roman global) and inter-disciplinary (textual philology, background of artwork and structure, philosophy, gardening).
This can be the 1st monograph to be released approximately the most recognized and least understood authors of the Latin center a while. we all know him by means of the pseudonym of Archpoet. environment the Archpoet's global and works of their old contexts, Peter Godman argues that they supply perception right into a amazing counter-culture of medieval Germany.
- Word Order in Greek Tragic Dialogue
- Thor: Myth to Marvel
- Persius and Juvenal (Oxford Readings in Classical Studies)
- Die 'historische' Dietrichepik: Untersuchungen zu 'Dietrichs Flucht', 'Rabenschlacht', 'Alpharts Tod' (Texte Und Studien Zur Mittelhochdeutschen Heldenepik) (German Edition)
- The Cambridge Companion to Petrarch (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
- Renaissance Transactions: Ariosto and Tasso (Duke monographs in medieval and Renaissance studies;)
Additional info for A Companion to Catullus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Catullus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Marilyn B. Skinner